Best MBA program in Canada

malik2012

Hi,

I am Malik, 36.5 years of age, having over 13 years of full time job experience in the fields of accounting, audit and finance. Have done B.Comm, ACCA (UK), CPA (US). Currently I am a CFA candidate. Also preparing for GMAT.
My future goal is;
1. To develop career in Financial Sector and Financial Consultancy & Strategic Management;
2. To strengthen my Business insights and nurture leadership skills, innovation.
3. Ultimately to build a rewarding career.

I can take a Career Break and join Full-Time MBA in 2014. I have done lot of web based research about all the major Canadian MBA programs and short-listed following schools;
1. Richard Ivey
2. Rotman MBA
3. Sauder UBC
4. HEC Montreal
5. Alberta Business School
6. Schulich (But not accredited by any of AACSB, EQUIS or AMBA)
But I am afraid that my age will be an issue to join a Full Time program. Also I got similar confirmation from Ivey for their full time program. As far as EMBA is concerned I am more convinced by the IVEY EMBA program structure and found it better over all the other Canadian EMBA programs.
Should I join Full time or EMBA and which business school??
I am open to any location and looking for the best possible option, considering MBA a life-time investment.

Will appreciate your valuable comments for the right program,
Regards,
Malik

Hi,

I am Malik, 36.5 years of age, having over 13 years of full time job experience in the fields of accounting, audit and finance. Have done B.Comm, ACCA (UK), CPA (US). Currently I am a CFA candidate. Also preparing for GMAT.
My future goal is;
1. To develop career in Financial Sector and Financial Consultancy & Strategic Management;
2. To strengthen my Business insights and nurture leadership skills, innovation.
3. Ultimately to build a rewarding career.

I can take a Career Break and join Full-Time MBA in 2014. I have done lot of web based research about all the major Canadian MBA programs and short-listed following schools;
1. Richard Ivey
2. Rotman MBA
3. Sauder UBC
4. HEC Montreal
5. Alberta Business School
6. Schulich (But not accredited by any of AACSB, EQUIS or AMBA)
But I am afraid that my age will be an issue to join a Full Time program. Also I got similar confirmation from Ivey for their full time program. As far as EMBA is concerned I am more convinced by the IVEY EMBA program structure and found it better over all the other Canadian EMBA programs.
Should I join Full time or EMBA and which business school??
I am open to any location and looking for the best possible option, considering MBA a life-time investment.

Will appreciate your valuable comments for the right program,
Regards,
Malik
Duncan

If you want to make a major career shift, then you should look carefully at full-time programmes both inside and outside Canada. The best fit for your background are the Sloan Fellows programmes, at the MIT, Stanford and London business schools. After that, the Rotman MBA is the best choice by far.

EMBA studies would be part-time, and for that you should really aim at the very best programme you can. Look at the Queens-Cornell EMBA, the Schulich-Kellogg EMBA, the Rotman one year EMBA and the Ivey EMBA. The other schools are really on a much lower level.

If you want to make a major career shift, then you should look carefully at full-time programmes both inside and outside Canada. The best fit for your background are the Sloan Fellows programmes, at the MIT, Stanford and London business schools. After that, the Rotman MBA is the best choice by far.

EMBA studies would be part-time, and for that you should really aim at the very best programme you can. Look at the Queens-Cornell EMBA, the Schulich-Kellogg EMBA, the Rotman one year EMBA and the Ivey EMBA. The other schools are really on a much lower level.
malik2012

Sir, Personally I love LBS, INSEAD and US Top Tiers as mentioned above, actually I have Canadian PR status so I have to fulfill the residency requirements, also in future I want to settle in Canada/North America region.
With my age of 38 years by next year will I be able to get into Rotman with competitive GMAT? though I don't have career break. My target GMAT is 700+.

I will prefer Full Time MBA and really don't want to go for part time executive MBA, that will be the only last option. IVEY full time is out of question now as I got negative response from them because of my age. Sauder and Alberta they don't have age issues. Sauder (UBC) also claims very successful MBA with distinguished career paths??

I have submitted my Resume for pre-assessment at Rotman. What do you think is there any chance? Otherwise I will have to wait to enter top Executive MBAs either in US or LBS, INSEAD etc.

Appreciate your valuable comments.

regards,

Asjad

Sir, Personally I love LBS, INSEAD and US Top Tiers as mentioned above, actually I have Canadian PR status so I have to fulfill the residency requirements, also in future I want to settle in Canada/North America region.
With my age of 38 years by next year will I be able to get into Rotman with competitive GMAT? though I don't have career break. My target GMAT is 700+.

I will prefer Full Time MBA and really don't want to go for part time executive MBA, that will be the only last option. IVEY full time is out of question now as I got negative response from them because of my age. Sauder and Alberta they don't have age issues. Sauder (UBC) also claims very successful MBA with distinguished career paths??

I have submitted my Resume for pre-assessment at Rotman. What do you think is there any chance? Otherwise I will have to wait to enter top Executive MBAs either in US or LBS, INSEAD etc.

Appreciate your valuable comments.

regards,

Asjad

malik2012

Dear Sir, you have opened a new avenue of opportunities for me in the form of Sloan, I was unaware about this side, I am researching on that and looking for my suitability for the suggested programs. Will be great for your response on previous post. Thanks a lot.

Dear Sir, you have opened a new avenue of opportunities for me in the form of Sloan, I was unaware about this side, I am researching on that and looking for my suitability for the suggested programs. Will be great for your response on previous post. Thanks a lot.
malik2012

Hi Duncan,

how do you look at Rotman Omnium Global Executive MBA and Rotman Executive MBA, which one is better of the two options?
regards,

Asjad

Hi Duncan,

how do you look at Rotman Omnium Global Executive MBA and Rotman Executive MBA, which one is better of the two options?
regards,

Asjad
Duncan

I think the Rotman-only programmes are better for you because they involve more face-time in class. It seems to me that you're interested in building your functional finance skills too, so maybe you should look at the part-time MBAs at Rotman as well as the EMBA. Their morning and evenings part-time MBAs are really excellent, covering the same core curriculum in the first three semesters, but also offering three further semesters of electives to allow you to really master finance at the leading edge.

I think the Rotman-only programmes are better for you because they involve more face-time in class. It seems to me that you're interested in building your functional finance skills too, so maybe you should look at the part-time MBAs at Rotman as well as the EMBA. Their morning and evenings part-time MBAs are really excellent, covering the same core curriculum in the first three semesters, but also offering three further semesters of electives to allow you to really master finance at the leading edge.
malik2012

Thank you very much for your guidance, I am really impressed by Sloan Fellowship programs, I have done reserach on that since you highlighted those. But due to my recent immig requirements I can't do that, Therefore I am thinking on an option that I do Ave. cost Full time MBA now(HEC Montreal,Telfer MBA etc.) and save money. then go for either LBS MSc or any of other two schools (MIT or Stanford) after 3 years.

Need your comments on this plan?? Otherwise Rotman will be the plan of action
regards,
Malik

Thank you very much for your guidance, I am really impressed by Sloan Fellowship programs, I have done reserach on that since you highlighted those. But due to my recent immig requirements I can't do that, Therefore I am thinking on an option that I do Ave. cost Full time MBA now(HEC Montreal,Telfer MBA etc.) and save money. then go for either LBS MSc or any of other two schools (MIT or Stanford) after 3 years.

Need your comments on this plan?? Otherwise Rotman will be the plan of action
regards,
Malik

Duncan

If your focus is in Canada, then I think the part-time MBA at Rotman gives you a stronger national network and better education than you'd get at HEC or Telfer. Is your focus on the francophone region? Perhaps then HEC is the right choice.

If your focus is in Canada, then I think the part-time MBA at Rotman gives you a stronger national network and better education than you'd get at HEC or Telfer. Is your focus on the francophone region? Perhaps then HEC is the right choice.
malik2012

In future I am interested to work in Canada and middle east region.

In future I am interested to work in Canada and middle east region.
malik2012

Furthermore with cost savings at the moment, I can go for Sloan Fellowship Program after 3-4 years.

Furthermore with cost savings at the moment, I can go for Sloan Fellowship Program after 3-4 years.
Duncan

Hmmm. Are you able to travel? Maybe the LBS EMBA in Dubai? Omnium might also make sense...

Hmmm. Are you able to travel? Maybe the LBS EMBA in Dubai? Omnium might also make sense...
malik2012

I am working in Dubai for last many years. But have to move now. Actually I want to go for Top full time programs only but with my Age of 37 it seems difficult. Anyhow i will try for Rotman full time program 2014. That's why Sloan Fellowship program really attracted me being full time and with experienced fellows.

I am working in Dubai for last many years. But have to move now. Actually I want to go for Top full time programs only but with my Age of 37 it seems difficult. Anyhow i will try for Rotman full time program 2014. That's why Sloan Fellowship program really attracted me being full time and with experienced fellows.
Duncan

Also look at the Nanyang Fellows programme.

Also look at the Nanyang Fellows programme.
malik2012

Hi,
Can you rank Canadian schools in terms of building Personal Development and Leadership skills expertise? Also appreciate comments for any alternative programs regarding the same.

Hi,
Can you rank Canadian schools in terms of building Personal Development and Leadership skills expertise? Also appreciate comments for any alternative programs regarding the same.
Duncan

For that you'll need something with lots of time in groups. A business school may be less effective for that than a community organisation or voluntary group like the Scouts or the YMCA, which are often looking for adult volunteers.

The top-full time MBAs will all be great for this, especially the longer programme which have more team work. In terns of exec ed, here are some suggestions:
http://business.queensu.ca/executiveeducation/programs/leadership.php
http://www.edwards.usask.ca/programs/bas/Open%20Enrollment%20Programs/Effective-Executive.html
http://www.commerce.usask.ca/programs/bas/Open_Enrollment_Programs/Team_Leadership_Skills_for_Project_Managers.html
http://www.uregina.ca/cce/career-development/institutes-partnerships/sihl/program-content.html (designed for healthcare people but look at the content!)

For that you'll need something with lots of time in groups. A business school may be less effective for that than a community organisation or voluntary group like the Scouts or the YMCA, which are often looking for adult volunteers.

The top-full time MBAs will all be great for this, especially the longer programme which have more team work. In terns of exec ed, here are some suggestions:
http://business.queensu.ca/executiveeducation/programs/leadership.php
http://www.edwards.usask.ca/programs/bas/Open%20Enrollment%20Programs/Effective-Executive.html
http://www.commerce.usask.ca/programs/bas/Open_Enrollment_Programs/Team_Leadership_Skills_for_Project_Managers.html
http://www.uregina.ca/cce/career-development/institutes-partnerships/sihl/program-content.html (designed for healthcare people but look at the content!)

malik2012

Sir I got some positive feedback about following Full time programs, based on initial assessment of my Resume, for 2014 intake;

1. Queens FT MBA program(Business Week # 1)
2. Sauder UBC (FT 57)
3. HEC Montreal
4. Alberta Business School

Other options will be Executive MBA either Rotman or QC. Appreciate your comments based on my profile.

Sir I got some positive feedback about following Full time programs, based on initial assessment of my Resume, for 2014 intake;

1. Queens FT MBA program(Business Week # 1)
2. Sauder UBC (FT 57)
3. HEC Montreal
4. Alberta Business School

Other options will be Executive MBA either Rotman or QC. Appreciate your comments based on my profile.
malik2012

Hi Duncan and Others,

After my initial communication with the schools, I have 05 options for full time programs;

1. Queens MBA
2. Sauder UBC
3. University of Alberta
4. Haskayne Business School
5. IVEY executive MBA

Rotman Executive MBA requires 1 year management exp in Canada so opted out, while IVEY executive MBA is also available
I am planning to work in Alberta, which program should I go for??

Hi Duncan and Others,

After my initial communication with the schools, I have 05 options for full time programs;

1. Queens MBA
2. Sauder UBC
3. University of Alberta
4. Haskayne Business School
5. IVEY executive MBA

Rotman Executive MBA requires 1 year management exp in Canada so opted out, while IVEY executive MBA is also available
I am planning to work in Alberta, which program should I go for??
Duncan

Executive MBAs are not full time MBAs.

Generally, I think you can trust the rankings of Canadian schools. If you're looking at full-time programmes, then Queen's and Sauder are probably the better.

Executive MBAs are not full time MBAs.

Generally, I think you can trust the rankings of Canadian schools. If you're looking at full-time programmes, then Queen's and Sauder are probably the better.
malik2012

Agreed, Executives MBAs are not full time, sorry for writing in that, I just wanted to say I got positive initial feedback from IVEY about their Executive MBA eligibility.

Agreed, Executives MBAs are not full time, sorry for writing in that, I just wanted to say I got positive initial feedback from IVEY about their Executive MBA eligibility.
Ciao Main

Hi Malik,

Did you make up your mind on these MBA programs? I'm considering many of the same ones as you, but I'm torn between doing a 1-year and a 2-year program!

Hi Malik,

Did you make up your mind on these MBA programs? I'm considering many of the same ones as you, but I'm torn between doing a 1-year and a 2-year program!

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Montréal, Canada 47 Followers 56 Discussions
Toronto, Canada 87 Followers 112 Discussions
Toronto, Canada 77 Followers 115 Discussions
London, Canada 38 Followers 77 Discussions
Vancouver, Canada 61 Followers 97 Discussions
Edmonton, Canada 50 Followers 53 Discussions

Other Related Content

Sep 11, 2023

The GMAC MBA Tour Lands in Africa Sept. 13-19

News Sep 11, 2023

MBA Programs in Canada: Maple Trees, Bacon, and Business Schools?

Article Dec 15, 2010

Affordable and respected, Canadian business schools are luring international students north.

Hot Discussions