University of Zimbabwe Graduate School of Management

workforce

What criteria is used to rank MBA programs? I was totally dismayed and embarrased to note that in Zimbabwe, there is only one MBA programme in the Top 30 Popular MBA's in Africa. This must be a very big mistake as the University of Zimbabwe boasts of one of the best MBA programmes in AMEA (Asia, Middle East and Africa region). I have had the opportunity to review some MBA programmes relative to the UZ one and I can bet my last dollar that few if any compares to the latter. Maybe its all a matter of collateral damage or reputational risk arising from the name Zimbabwe.

What criteria is used to rank MBA programs? I was totally dismayed and embarrased to note that in Zimbabwe, there is only one MBA programme in the Top 30 Popular MBA's in Africa. This must be a very big mistake as the University of Zimbabwe boasts of one of the best MBA programmes in AMEA (Asia, Middle East and Africa region). I have had the opportunity to review some MBA programmes relative to the UZ one and I can bet my last dollar that few if any compares to the latter. Maybe its all a matter of collateral damage or reputational risk arising from the name Zimbabwe.
a_mukerjee

Hello, can you please specify which ranking of top 30 MBAs in Africa you mean? Criteria vary from one ranking to the other, that's why I ask. Knowing this I might be able to explain you more about the reasons of Zimbabwe not being mentioned.

Greetings, Attiya

Hello, can you please specify which ranking of top 30 MBAs in Africa you mean? Criteria vary from one ranking to the other, that's why I ask. Knowing this I might be able to explain you more about the reasons of Zimbabwe not being mentioned.

Greetings, Attiya
workforce

Hello Attiya,

I am referring to the Most Popular MBA's in Africa. Advise on the criteria that you use in determinig these. Thank you.

Hello Attiya,

I am referring to the Most Popular MBA's in Africa. Advise on the criteria that you use in determinig these. Thank you.
SebDouglas

The criteria "we" use or the criteria used by the organisations that compile the rankings?

Firstly, the system used by find-mba.com is based on page views, as it says at the bottom of this page: http://www.find-mba.com/most-popular/africa

See also here: http://www.find-mba.com/mba-faq#15

So obviously it's not meant to be a definitive guide, just an index of what people are looking at.

Secondly, although no system is perfect, rankings compilers are usually pretty up front about how they work everything out. See, for example, this: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/3e262cfe-cb17-11dc-97ff-000077b07658,dwp_uuid=06879246-a4b2

I don't there is any bias against African schools per se, or against Zimbabwean schools specifically. However, the situation on Zimbabwe at the moment - whatever the reasons for it - is hardly conducive to the successful maintenance of good academic practice and the building of international reputations. Quite apart from the fact that it is bound to be off-putting to potential applicants.

The criteria "we" use or the criteria used by the organisations that compile the rankings?

Firstly, the system used by find-mba.com is based on page views, as it says at the bottom of this page: http://www.find-mba.com/most-popular/africa

See also here: http://www.find-mba.com/mba-faq#15

So obviously it's not meant to be a definitive guide, just an index of what people are looking at.

Secondly, although no system is perfect, rankings compilers are usually pretty up front about how they work everything out. See, for example, this: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/3e262cfe-cb17-11dc-97ff-000077b07658,dwp_uuid=06879246-a4b2

I don't there is any bias against African schools per se, or against Zimbabwean schools specifically. However, the situation on Zimbabwe at the moment - whatever the reasons for it - is hardly conducive to the successful maintenance of good academic practice and the building of international reputations. Quite apart from the fact that it is bound to be off-putting to potential applicants.
Mugere

It is very true that the political situation in Zimbabwe is very bad and it has knock on effect on a lot of spheres of life. However fairness should prevail and analysts should lack bias if they are to be credible.

The MBA at University of Zimbabwe is by far ahead of most in Africa and Middle East, this is one area, among others that seem to have bucked the trend.

Conditions in Zimbabwe are bad relative to what they used to be in Zimbabwe, when you compare in absolute terms with other third world countries, you may find that Zimbabwe still ranks ahead, not only in higher education. No one wants bad politics and bad publicity, its bad for marketing, hence the reason why University of Zimbabwe may be viewed differently by those who do not bother to look deeper. By the way, most graduates, around 90% of the said university are grabbed by first world countries-check for yourself.

The other issue has to do with the administration which is very conservative and view advertising in different light. I admit that the administration is still in the past where academic rigour is paramount as opposed to marketing the school. In a way this has helped the school to concentrate on teaching but did not help in improving the image which requires more marketing than those universities in countries where there is no politics.

Regards,

It is very true that the political situation in Zimbabwe is very bad and it has knock on effect on a lot of spheres of life. However fairness should prevail and analysts should lack bias if they are to be credible.

The MBA at University of Zimbabwe is by far ahead of most in Africa and Middle East, this is one area, among others that seem to have bucked the trend.

Conditions in Zimbabwe are bad relative to what they used to be in Zimbabwe, when you compare in absolute terms with other third world countries, you may find that Zimbabwe still ranks ahead, not only in higher education. No one wants bad politics and bad publicity, its bad for marketing, hence the reason why University of Zimbabwe may be viewed differently by those who do not bother to look deeper. By the way, most graduates, around 90% of the said university are grabbed by first world countries-check for yourself.

The other issue has to do with the administration which is very conservative and view advertising in different light. I admit that the administration is still in the past where academic rigour is paramount as opposed to marketing the school. In a way this has helped the school to concentrate on teaching but did not help in improving the image which requires more marketing than those universities in countries where there is no politics.

Regards,
D.jung

I think the problem is the lack of accreditation - as far as i could see, the University of Zimbabwe Graduate School of Management is not accredited by any international body. if this is true, then it would have an impact on its ranking, and therefor on its reputation. it is also true that Zimbabwe's educational system may be good, but "people are people" and they tend to see and remember only the negative things. since the situation in Zimbabwe now days is really getting a lot of bad publicity, i'm afraid the university's reputation is bound to suffer.

I think the problem is the lack of accreditation - as far as i could see, the University of Zimbabwe Graduate School of Management is not accredited by any international body. if this is true, then it would have an impact on its ranking, and therefor on its reputation. it is also true that Zimbabwe's educational system may be good, but "people are people" and they tend to see and remember only the negative things. since the situation in Zimbabwe now days is really getting a lot of bad publicity, i'm afraid the university's reputation is bound to suffer.
taperam

I am glad we haven't fallen that much. Of course the fall is biased because of the political situation in the country. Whatever that ranking is watch out we may be on are way up again. I put it currently we are just in the first 15 after looking at some of the universities stated there!!!. In all fairness the race is between Zimbabwe and Southern coutries not East and Middle African Universities. Please take a closer look once again. Yes the East and Middle African Universities were way behind the curve. You know as i do that growth rate in early stages may be exponential,but it does mean standards are better. It might be a case of UZ slowing the pace , but it is still ahead.

I am glad we haven't fallen that much. Of course the fall is biased because of the political situation in the country. Whatever that ranking is watch out we may be on are way up again. I put it currently we are just in the first 15 after looking at some of the universities stated there!!!. In all fairness the race is between Zimbabwe and Southern coutries not East and Middle African Universities. Please take a closer look once again. Yes the East and Middle African Universities were way behind the curve. You know as i do that growth rate in early stages may be exponential,but it does mean standards are better. It might be a case of UZ slowing the pace , but it is still ahead.

Reply to Post