South African / Australian MBA?

Nestor

Anybody out there know anything about good mba prog. in these places?

Anybody out there know anything about good mba prog. in these places?
Mendez66

Not sure, Nestor. Cape Town in SA and Australian School of Management are the only programs to show up in Financial Times' top 100. Is there any particular reason -- beside the exotic allure -- that you are thinking of these places?

Not sure, Nestor. Cape Town in SA and Australian School of Management are the only programs to show up in Financial Times' top 100. Is there any particular reason -- beside the exotic allure -- that you are thinking of these places?
Nestor

well, i do realise that an mba is more than a vacation. so, no the "exotic allure" is not everything. i had other reasons for looking in the southern hemisphere for mba programs. but thanks for your input. i will keep looking and let you know if i find anything else out in my search. cheers. N.

well, i do realise that an mba is more than a vacation. so, no the "exotic allure" is not everything. i had other reasons for looking in the southern hemisphere for mba programs. but thanks for your input. i will keep looking and let you know if i find anything else out in my search. cheers. N.
Mendez66

sorry. did not mean to suggest that you were on the lookout only for a vacation. certainly no harm in looking for a pleasant place to do your mba. :) speaking of southern hemisphere, have you looked into INSEAD Singapore?

sorry. did not mean to suggest that you were on the lookout only for a vacation. certainly no harm in looking for a pleasant place to do your mba. :) speaking of southern hemisphere, have you looked into INSEAD Singapore?
diego

that good australian mba u rereferd to is http://www.find-mba.com/university/562 ?

that good australian mba u rereferd to is http://www.find-mba.com/university/562 ?
Nestor

I know INSEAD Singapore is everyone's favorite non-European / North American program. At least I have that feeling. But any other promising schools down there -- aside from the ones mentioned. What about some of the others that showed up on the FT top hundred?

I know INSEAD Singapore is everyone's favorite non-European / North American program. At least I have that feeling. But any other promising schools down there -- aside from the ones mentioned. What about some of the others that showed up on the FT top hundred?
Mindmaker

Guys, if you really are looking to learn. AND, are not concerned about the postgraduation mentorship, i.e, schools with powerful people in both government and private sector. What I call the "club" of the gang that is squeezin the middle class into the poor class, while they take all the marbles for themselves, then any school really will do. Why you can even construct an MBA school for yourself at home. Learn and study and publish papers in (1) Communications, (2) Management and Leadership (3) Behavioral Management (4) Organization Structure and Change Management (5) Baisc In International Business Law
- There if you do an honset research work, read at least 3 books by renown athors on each of the course abouve, dupplement it with internet and library research, etc. at least do 3 semester hours of honest work per discipline and publish a research paper with your local newspaper on each topic. That is already 15 Hrs, you are 1/3 towards you MBA
Then Next Choese a Mix of 10 other topics with a 50/50 share of quantitative and qualitative, Statistical and decision management analysis. The Do a research paper in your ield of interest. And before you know it, you might not have that piece of paper that says "MBA Havard University, Cornell, Wharton, Capetown, Cambridge or London School Of Economics" - and yes opening the corporate door with a corne office might be dificult, but once you get in.. Boy, they will wonder why they ever pissed away $30K to $100K on their education,
Educationm should be free in these days of technology. Just put your mind to it. What degree did Isaac Newton of Achimedes have again? or is it Dr. Albert Einstein. In a way we are being ripped off, if you think about it.

Guys, if you really are looking to learn. AND, are not concerned about the postgraduation mentorship, i.e, schools with powerful people in both government and private sector. What I call the "club" of the gang that is squeezin the middle class into the poor class, while they take all the marbles for themselves, then any school really will do. Why you can even construct an MBA school for yourself at home. Learn and study and publish papers in (1) Communications, (2) Management and Leadership (3) Behavioral Management (4) Organization Structure and Change Management (5) Baisc In International Business Law
- There if you do an honset research work, read at least 3 books by renown athors on each of the course abouve, dupplement it with internet and library research, etc. at least do 3 semester hours of honest work per discipline and publish a research paper with your local newspaper on each topic. That is already 15 Hrs, you are 1/3 towards you MBA
Then Next Choese a Mix of 10 other topics with a 50/50 share of quantitative and qualitative, Statistical and decision management analysis. The Do a research paper in your ield of interest. And before you know it, you might not have that piece of paper that says "MBA Havard University, Cornell, Wharton, Capetown, Cambridge or London School Of Economics" - and yes opening the corporate door with a corne office might be dificult, but once you get in.. Boy, they will wonder why they ever pissed away $30K to $100K on their education,
Educationm should be free in these days of technology. Just put your mind to it. What degree did Isaac Newton of Achimedes have again? or is it Dr. Albert Einstein. In a way we are being ripped off, if you think about it.
henkheath

I am studying through the University of the North West, the old Potchefstroom University, in South Africa and I must say the quality of the tuition is excellent. During a recent Financial Mail Survey, UNW came out as 3rd in South Africa, with ratings equal to better than some of the comparitive courses hosted by Harvard and Oxford.

I am studying through the University of the North West, the old Potchefstroom University, in South Africa and I must say the quality of the tuition is excellent. During a recent Financial Mail Survey, UNW came out as 3rd in South Africa, with ratings equal to better than some of the comparitive courses hosted by Harvard and Oxford.
jona

I never considered South Africa to do my MBA, but why not?
The question of course is how the MBA would be perceived internationally, in my case at least, because I would not want to stay in South Africa after finishing the program.

Can you tell me a bit more about the MBA you do? I would be afraid that it has a more local appeal, what is your opinion, to what extend is it international? What are the job chances in international companies and what are the connections with business, how is the composition of classes, what accreditations does it have?

I never considered South Africa to do my MBA, but why not?
The question of course is how the MBA would be perceived internationally, in my case at least, because I would not want to stay in South Africa after finishing the program.

Can you tell me a bit more about the MBA you do? I would be afraid that it has a more local appeal, what is your opinion, to what extend is it international? What are the job chances in international companies and what are the connections with business, how is the composition of classes, what accreditations does it have?
henkheath

The following Universities are the top in South Africa, and are all fully accredited MBA programs (Internationally), No questions asked;

University of North West (UNW)
University of Stellenbosch (US)
University of Pretoria (Gordon Institute of Business)
University of South Africa (Unisa)

Although we have a few localized content, you will find that the content will actually benefit you. Eg. we have a very Hectic Labour Law, accompanied by all the lockouts and strikes, mass action, the whole works. You get exposure to every eventuality. Further We are rated in the top 25 MBA programs in the world, and top 3 where the soft skills such as change management and organizational behaviour is concerned.

In my second year, I was flown from SA to Switzerland, all expenses paid, for an interview with a large Earthmoving company....need I say more of the standard of the program?

The following Universities are the top in South Africa, and are all fully accredited MBA programs (Internationally), No questions asked;

University of North West (UNW)
University of Stellenbosch (US)
University of Pretoria (Gordon Institute of Business)
University of South Africa (Unisa)

Although we have a few localized content, you will find that the content will actually benefit you. Eg. we have a very Hectic Labour Law, accompanied by all the lockouts and strikes, mass action, the whole works. You get exposure to every eventuality. Further We are rated in the top 25 MBA programs in the world, and top 3 where the soft skills such as change management and organizational behaviour is concerned.

In my second year, I was flown from SA to Switzerland, all expenses paid, for an interview with a large Earthmoving company....need I say more of the standard of the program?
jona

Hello,
May I ask you what exactly you are referring to when you say that UNW is rated in the top 25 MBA programs in the world?
In the FT, Economist, and BW rankings I only found the following (even taking into consideration the top 100 programs worldwide):
- University of Cape Town
- University of Pretoria: Gibs
- Wits Business School
- University of Stellenbosch Business School

Did I miss something?

Hello,
May I ask you what exactly you are referring to when you say that UNW is rated in the top 25 MBA programs in the world?
In the FT, Economist, and BW rankings I only found the following (even taking into consideration the top 100 programs worldwide):
- University of Cape Town
- University of Pretoria: Gibs
- Wits Business School
- University of Stellenbosch Business School

Did I miss something?
henkheath

Aha , i see that you have done some of the homework. Have you read the +/- 12 page article explaining the programs as per their strenths as well as the years of assessments. South African Schools went through the accreditation process to the end of 2005, PUK came out tops, beating GIBS and the like in the soft skills and Labour Law.

Aha , i see that you have done some of the homework. Have you read the +/- 12 page article explaining the programs as per their strenths as well as the years of assessments. South African Schools went through the accreditation process to the end of 2005, PUK came out tops, beating GIBS and the like in the soft skills and Labour Law.
jona

Hello henkheath,
May I ask you which article you are referring to? And sorry to be uninformed, but what does PUK stand for?
Jona

Hello henkheath,
May I ask you which article you are referring to? And sorry to be uninformed, but what does PUK stand for?
Jona
henkheath

Am I Winding you up yet?
The South African magazine FT, Financial Times did an extensive survey ranging from affordabiity, timeframes, to acceptance rates, Study material, text books used, CV of the proffessors

I will get you date of the publication, but I think it was May 2006

Am I Winding you up yet?
The South African magazine FT, Financial Times did an extensive survey ranging from affordabiity, timeframes, to acceptance rates, Study material, text books used, CV of the proffessors

I will get you date of the publication, but I think it was May 2006
jona

I was just a bit surprised since I had done my own research, and did not find it in the rankings, as I stated above.
Then this has more a local significance I presume, since you don't mention international appeal and salary prospects as a criteria?

Anyways, it's still an interesting option for me to study in South Africa.
Some more questions (I hope you won't get tired..):
I have read that instruction language is English and Afrikaans, does that mean I have to know Afrikaans to study?
As for general living, doe people speak English everywhere? Coming from a non English speaking country I am very keen on "perfectioning" my English skills.

Furthermore I'd be curious about the composition of classes, are there many foreign students in your class?

Thanks in advance Henkheath, very interesting to have your first hand info!

I was just a bit surprised since I had done my own research, and did not find it in the rankings, as I stated above.
Then this has more a local significance I presume, since you don't mention international appeal and salary prospects as a criteria?

Anyways, it's still an interesting option for me to study in South Africa.
Some more questions (I hope you won't get tired..):
I have read that instruction language is English and Afrikaans, does that mean I have to know Afrikaans to study?
As for general living, doe people speak English everywhere? Coming from a non English speaking country I am very keen on "perfectioning" my English skills.

Furthermore I'd be curious about the composition of classes, are there many foreign students in your class?

Thanks in advance Henkheath, very interesting to have your first hand info!
henkheath

The study was very elaborate, it did include the before and agter averages in salary as well as the positions held before and after.

shoot with the questions, I do not mind.

Yes, the instruction is in Afrikaans and English, but this would not affect you ar you will be able to receive your tuition in English.

English is widely spoken as well as the other 10 Official Languages of Southern Africa. Lanuage is not a barrier, believe me.

go to the following page to have a look at us.

http://www.puk.ac.za/fakulteite/ekon/pbs/mba_e.html

The study was very elaborate, it did include the before and agter averages in salary as well as the positions held before and after.

shoot with the questions, I do not mind.

Yes, the instruction is in Afrikaans and English, but this would not affect you ar you will be able to receive your tuition in English.

English is widely spoken as well as the other 10 Official Languages of Southern Africa. Lanuage is not a barrier, believe me.

go to the following page to have a look at us.

http://www.puk.ac.za/fakulteite/ekon/pbs/mba_e.html
jona

10 official languages? ok..

Good to hear that Enlgish is widely spoken and therefore not perceived as a foreign language I guess. That makes Aouth Africa an interesting place to study - as I said improving English language skills is an important argument.

10 official languages? ok..

Good to hear that Enlgish is widely spoken and therefore not perceived as a foreign language I guess. That makes Aouth Africa an interesting place to study - as I said improving English language skills is an important argument.
henkheath

we have been conversing, so you will not perceive language as a barrier. You worry too much.
South Africa is a friendly country, friendly people, great diversity in culture and geography

we have been conversing, so you will not perceive language as a barrier. You worry too much.
South Africa is a friendly country, friendly people, great diversity in culture and geography

I have heard that it can be dangerous though, especially at night. Or let's say, more dangerous than what we are used to in Europe.
Is that not true? Or is that the case only in big cities?

I have heard that it can be dangerous though, especially at night. Or let's say, more dangerous than what we are used to in Europe.
Is that not true? Or is that the case only in big cities?
henkheath

It is all about perceptions (misperceptions)
Yes there is cime, no argument there. But what about the university in the New York, or will the crime in Harlem, or the Bronx deter you?
What about in the Middle east? or will the pubic displays in the town square, where they chop off the hand of thieves on a weekly basis deter you?
what about the recent shooting at schools in America, The violence in the Japanese Cabinet, where appointees fight with fists and chairs (looks like WWF) deter you from studying at Osaka University.

I have lived in many countries, and believe me each one has their own set of violent problems. In Belguim there were incidents where the French speaking side of the street would vandalise the cars of the Flemish speaking other side out of pure hatred.
The Dutch hate the Morrocans that bork illegally in their country.
there are so many examples.....ours is unfortunately front page news, and being in The Netherlands from '84 - '88 (end of the appartheid era), I know what perceptions are in Europe.

I would leave South Africa, when my children will be able to appreciate the history, culture, legacy of Europe, etc....... but my reason for leaving would not be crime.

to get back to your question, do you lock your door at night? If so why?

It is all about perceptions (misperceptions)
Yes there is cime, no argument there. But what about the university in the New York, or will the crime in Harlem, or the Bronx deter you?
What about in the Middle east? or will the pubic displays in the town square, where they chop off the hand of thieves on a weekly basis deter you?
what about the recent shooting at schools in America, The violence in the Japanese Cabinet, where appointees fight with fists and chairs (looks like WWF) deter you from studying at Osaka University.

I have lived in many countries, and believe me each one has their own set of violent problems. In Belguim there were incidents where the French speaking side of the street would vandalise the cars of the Flemish speaking other side out of pure hatred.
The Dutch hate the Morrocans that bork illegally in their country.
there are so many examples.....ours is unfortunately front page news, and being in The Netherlands from '84 - '88 (end of the appartheid era), I know what perceptions are in Europe.

I would leave South Africa, when my children will be able to appreciate the history, culture, legacy of Europe, etc....... but my reason for leaving would not be crime.

to get back to your question, do you lock your door at night? If so why?

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Cape Town, South Africa 30 Followers 32 Discussions
Carlton, Australia 54 Followers 96 Discussions
Singapore 33 Followers 171 Discussions
Bellville, South Africa 16 Followers 10 Discussions
Johannesburg, South Africa 26 Followers 7 Discussions
Johannesburg, South Africa 21 Followers 7 Discussions
Potchefstroom, South Africa 10 Followers 3 Discussions
UNISA, South Africa 44 Followers 4 Discussions

Other Related Content

Appetite for MBAs is on the Rise in South Africa

Article Aug 06, 2019

More MBA students are drawn to one of the most dynamic but difficult parts of the world

Hot Discussions