MSc Management: which University?!? Request your inputs.

SabrinaA

---

---
Alan

Hiya Nes, MSc might be just the thing if you're looking to pick up some skills and benefit from the school's connections to the industry/alumni network, but job-hunting won't be as much in focus as doing a two-year MBA (where lots of time and headspace goes into scoring a cherry internship, etc.). Recruiters probably won't be banging down the door for MSc grads either (or anybody if this recession gets much worse!). That's not to say it's a waste of time from the job hunt perspective, but the initiative will be mostly on you during and after the MSc to make the best of your time there (learning, networking, etc)

My thoughts about those schools you mentioned - I think all of them are very good possibilities (good choices), but I'd hold out to hear from some of your pending applications (Manchester, Warwick) before jumping at Leeds or Bradford. Did you consider LBS or LSE which both have MSc degrees on offer?

Bon courage, Alan

Hiya Nes, MSc might be just the thing if you're looking to pick up some skills and benefit from the school's connections to the industry/alumni network, but job-hunting won't be as much in focus as doing a two-year MBA (where lots of time and headspace goes into scoring a cherry internship, etc.). Recruiters probably won't be banging down the door for MSc grads either (or anybody if this recession gets much worse!). That's not to say it's a waste of time from the job hunt perspective, but the initiative will be mostly on you during and after the MSc to make the best of your time there (learning, networking, etc)

My thoughts about those schools you mentioned - I think all of them are very good possibilities (good choices), but I'd hold out to hear from some of your pending applications (Manchester, Warwick) before jumping at Leeds or Bradford. Did you consider LBS or LSE which both have MSc degrees on offer?

Bon courage, Alan
SabrinaA

----

----

Hello Nes ......buddy even i have applied for msc in management at following schools

strathclyde - pending
aston - conditional offer
kings - pending
nottingham trent - pending

but im more interested in aston and strathclyde......which one do u think is better im really confused hope u can help me a bit
thanks
Abhinav

Hello Nes ......buddy even i have applied for msc in management at following schools

strathclyde - pending
aston - conditional offer
kings - pending
nottingham trent - pending

but im more interested in aston and strathclyde......which one do u think is better im really confused hope u can help me a bit
thanks
Abhinav
SabrinaA

Hey Avinav!

If u have applied to the above 4 universities only...then no doubt Strathclyde is your best bet...its a fantastic uni...after strathclyde i would prefer to go to Nottingham....hope this helps...

Aston is a good uni bet the mba program is not that renowned; a place in FT for Msc doest make it a great b school when the mba program doest find a place in the ranking by the same publication.

Regarding Kings...I am sorry...dont have much idea...

--Nes.

Hey Avinav!

If u have applied to the above 4 universities only...then no doubt Strathclyde is your best bet...its a fantastic uni...after strathclyde i would prefer to go to Nottingham....hope this helps...

Aston is a good uni bet the mba program is not that renowned; a place in FT for Msc doest make it a great b school when the mba program doest find a place in the ranking by the same publication.

Regarding Kings...I am sorry...dont have much idea...

--Nes.
SabrinaA

-----

-----
a_mukerjee

congratulations, you get them one after the other!

You seem to be very determined to do the Msc instead of the MBA for financial reasons. I fully understand your reasons, and we all know that UK is the most expensive place to live in Europe. So its hard to imagine paying a high MBA tuition besides the living costs.
But you seem to be a quite performing student - referring to your list - you might aswell have the profile to get a scholarship to do an MBA in one of those schools, (let's say Warwick..?).
Did you check out the possibilities?

congratulations, you get them one after the other!

You seem to be very determined to do the Msc instead of the MBA for financial reasons. I fully understand your reasons, and we all know that UK is the most expensive place to live in Europe. So its hard to imagine paying a high MBA tuition besides the living costs.
But you seem to be a quite performing student - referring to your list - you might aswell have the profile to get a scholarship to do an MBA in one of those schools, (let's say Warwick..?).
Did you check out the possibilities?
SabrinaA

-------

-------
SabrinaA

---------

---------

Hello Nes and congratulations!! I'm ready to send the applications for the same programm as you in these universities:

1.Warwick
2.Lancaster
3.Manchester
4.Bath
5.Aston
6.Durham
7.Strathclyde
8.Cranfield
9.Loughborough

I hope to get the same results as you:)

What do you think for my choices?

Thank you from Athens!

Hello Nes and congratulations!! I'm ready to send the applications for the same programm as you in these universities:

1.Warwick
2.Lancaster
3.Manchester
4.Bath
5.Aston
6.Durham
7.Strathclyde
8.Cranfield
9.Loughborough

Thank you from Athens!
SabrinaA

1.Warwick
2.Lancaster
3.Manchester
4.Bath
5.Aston
6.Durham
7.Strathclyde
8.Cranfield
9.Loughborough

Thank you from Athens!

Hello Athens!

Good choice...But Loughborough is the odd one out...I do not mean that LB's B-School is bad...no, not at all...LB scored an index of 5 in the last RAE...its a good one except that its not present in the FT list...I am not vouching for the FT list, infact it is always advisable not to get overtly carried away by the rankings but then if you are an international student the FT is the best guide (apart from EIU)....If your good at sports LB provides the best sports facilities, infact I have heard that LB's patronage of sports is very high...

There are many things one should keep in mind while choosing a B school -- brand name, course structure, age, location, industry patronage/contacts, diversity of class, efficiency of the career service, placement stats of international students etc..

If your finance permits you could give a shot to these institutes also -- LBS, LSE, CASS, Tanaka, Said and Judge.

Henley and Birmingham are two very good B schools (absent in FT2008 list though)...have a look at their website if you are interested; Henley specially has a good fame in Europe...and Birmingham is the first Red-Brick University whose B School is much more older than Aston hence having a much bigger alumni base.

All the best!!!

-Nes

<blockquote>Hello Nes and congratulations!! I'm ready to send the applications for the same programm as you in these universities:

1.Warwick
2.Lancaster
3.Manchester
4.Bath
5.Aston
6.Durham
7.Strathclyde
8.Cranfield
9.Loughborough

Thank you from Athens!</blockquote>

Hello Athens!

Good choice...But Loughborough is the odd one out...I do not mean that LB's B-School is bad...no, not at all...LB scored an index of 5 in the last RAE...its a good one except that its not present in the FT list...I am not vouching for the FT list, infact it is always advisable not to get overtly carried away by the rankings but then if you are an international student the FT is the best guide (apart from EIU)....If your good at sports LB provides the best sports facilities, infact I have heard that LB's patronage of sports is very high...

There are many things one should keep in mind while choosing a B school -- brand name, course structure, age, location, industry patronage/contacts, diversity of class, efficiency of the career service, placement stats of international students etc..

If your finance permits you could give a shot to these institutes also -- LBS, LSE, CASS, Tanaka, Said and Judge.

Henley and Birmingham are two very good B schools (absent in FT2008 list though)...have a look at their website if you are interested; Henley specially has a good fame in Europe...and Birmingham is the first Red-Brick University whose B School is much more older than Aston hence having a much bigger alumni base.

All the best!!!

-Nes

Thank you Nes for your advices!! The problem is that my GPA is not too good (6.7 out of 10) so i dont think that LSE or LBS would accept my application..I'll think about Reading's Henley..If you have anything more to help me or any tip msg me!!

Thank you Nes for your advices!! The problem is that my GPA is not too good (6.7 out of 10) so i dont think that LSE or LBS would accept my application..I'll think about Reading's Henley..If you have anything more to help me or any tip msg me!!
SabrinaA

counsel

I would say the brand is important and doing the Masters from any of the top 5 would be fine. For doing MBA from the top 5 schools, experience would be required. Having said that, are there any schools offering MBA for students without experience ?

I would say the brand is important and doing the Masters from any of the top 5 would be fine. For doing MBA from the top 5 schools, experience would be required. Having said that, are there any schools offering MBA for students without experience ?

SabrinaA

This is the (n+1)th time a newbie is asking this question!!! lol!!

This issue has been discussed million times on this forum. Kindly make use of the search facility of this forum. Also while posting please be aware the topic of the discussion of a thread.

Happy researching....!

Ciao!

-nes

<blockquote>I would say the brand is important and doing the Masters from any of the top 5 would be fine. For doing MBA from the top 5 schools, experience would be required. Having said that, are there any schools offering MBA for students without experience ?

</blockquote>

This is the (n+1)th time a newbie is asking this question!!! lol!!

This issue has been discussed million times on this forum. Kindly make use of the search facility of this forum. Also while posting please be aware the topic of the discussion of a thread.

Happy researching....!

Ciao!

-nes
malunun

Hi nblueblaze,

I am also considering MSc instead of an MBA,reasons being the course cost,as well as work-experience,as it is a pre-requisite..
My question to you is regarding the course structure,as well as it's popularity among recruiters.
Does an MSc focus more on the theoritical aspects than the pratical..?
Also,the job-prospects suggest that if you want a career in research management,an MSc is what you must take up?
Is that right?
I am also dead confused about the same.
It would be a great help if you could clarify my doubts on the same.
Is an MSc worth the risk?

Hi nblueblaze,

I am also considering MSc instead of an MBA,reasons being the course cost,as well as work-experience,as it is a pre-requisite..
My question to you is regarding the course structure,as well as it's popularity among recruiters.
Also,the job-prospects suggest that if you want a career in research management,an MSc is what you must take up?
Is that right?
SabrinaA

Hi nblueblaze,

Is that right?

Hi Malunun,

course structure -- All the top tier Unis got a good course structure for the MSc management course. But definitely it varies from Uni to Uni, but more or less its essentially the same.

MSc popularity -- Let me consider geographical locations one by one: USA&Canada - very less infact almost nil, Europe including Turkey -- good, Middle East -- luke-warm, Asia(China/HK/Korea et al) -- luke warm, Asia(India/Singapore/japan etc) -- very less.

Msc Focus -- focus on theoretical and practical is well balanced in most of the top tier B Schools, but again varies for eg in Leeds focus is more on the theoretical but in Cranfield stress is more on practical. Talk with the alumni of a B school to find out more.

Research -- MSc/MBA got nothing to do with research. Both are taught degrees. If you are inclined to do research in any of the domains of Business Management you should look at the PhD.

Risk -- "Is an MSc worth the risk?" No one can answer that question for you. Sit down with your parents/family/peer-group/co-workers and analyze their comments/advise and then take the final decision keeping into consideration the pros and cons regarding the same.

--Nes

<blockquote>Hi nblueblaze,

Is that right?
Is an MSc worth the risk?</blockquote>

Hi Malunun,

course structure -- All the top tier Unis got a good course structure for the MSc management course. But definitely it varies from Uni to Uni, but more or less its essentially the same.

MSc popularity -- Let me consider geographical locations one by one: USA&Canada - very less infact almost nil, Europe including Turkey -- good, Middle East -- luke-warm, Asia(China/HK/Korea et al) -- luke warm, Asia(India/Singapore/japan etc) -- very less.

Msc Focus -- focus on theoretical and practical is well balanced in most of the top tier B Schools, but again varies for eg in Leeds focus is more on the theoretical but in Cranfield stress is more on practical. Talk with the alumni of a B school to find out more.

Research -- MSc/MBA got nothing to do with research. Both are taught degrees. If you are inclined to do research in any of the domains of Business Management you should look at the PhD.

Risk -- "Is an MSc worth the risk?" No one can answer that question for you. Sit down with your parents/family/peer-group/co-workers and analyze their comments/advise and then take the final decision keeping into consideration the pros and cons regarding the same.

--Nes
SabrinaA

....--------

....--------

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Glasgow, United Kingdom 53 Followers 475 Discussions
Nottingham, United Kingdom 27 Followers 180 Discussions
Leeds, United Kingdom 18 Followers 164 Discussions
Durham, United Kingdom 74 Followers 400 Discussions
Bradford, United Kingdom 45 Followers 317 Discussions
Loughborough, United Kingdom 13 Followers 75 Discussions